TRAUMA THERAPY IN LONDON, ON
For many of us, our life is impacted by events that are so distressing or frightening that they produce a long-term change in our thoughts and behaviours. These events, big or small, can cause lasting effects if not addressed.
Trauma can be anything from a single incident, such as an assault or accident, to minor irritations, to major events that occur throughout our life. Trauma can also be what many people think of in the more traditional sense, such as events from our formative years from our caregivers or early relationships.
If you feel that something from your past is impacting your current life, trauma-focused therapy may be a good fit for you.
What Is Trauma Therapy?
When you experience a traumatic event, your brain physically changes, making it difficult for your brain to function the same as before the event. This can happen due to hyperarousal in important emotion processing areas of the brain, such as the amygdala.
The good news is, however, these changes don’t have to be permanent. Through working with an experienced trauma therapist, you can learn to rework and build new, positive pathways in your brain.
Trauma therapy is focused on helping you cope with the emotional, physical, cognitive, and spiritual effects of trauma. The goal of trauma-focused therapy is to provide you with the space you need to better comprehend, manage, and process your emotions and memories related to what you have been through. There are many different approaches to doing trauma therapy and we can work with you to determine what may be the best fit for what you are going through.
We Work With Both Trauma & Complex Trauma
We work with clients looking to deal with all types of trauma.
Some examples of the types of experiences we work with include:
• Recent stress or trauma experience
• Childhood emotional, sexual, and/or physical abuse
• Relationship trauma, abuse and violence
• Organizational stress and burn out including military personnel and veterans, first responders, and workplace injuries
• Marginalization and oppression in the form of discrimination for sex, race, class, gender, religion, and culture.
• Grief and loss including the death of a loved one, loss of a relationship, miscarriage and infertility
• Dissociation and Dissociative disorders
• Borderline Personality Disorder
If your story includes parts that feel unfinished, burdened or stuck, we might be able to help. Send us a message today.
Our Approach to Trauma Therapy
Our team is experienced in multiple different evidence-based trauma therapies, including:
• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
• Internal Family Systems (IFS)
• Somatic Therapy
• Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
• Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
• Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
• Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT)
• Ego-state therapy
• Attachment therapy
It Gets Better, We Can Help
If you’ve reached your limit with how you’re feeling, and you’re ready for a change – we can help. Our team of Registered Psychotherapists and Social Workers are trauma-informed and draw on years of experience and education in the field. You don’t have to continue feeling the way you do, and we want to help.
Ready to Take The First Step?
We firmly believe that each person has the innate ability to cope with their challenges, but sometimes difficulties from the past make it tough for people to access these skills. Together, we can uncover, process, and heal the parts of your life that are seeking change and stopping you from living the life you desire and deserve. Contact us today to get started.